Empty the fridge into the pan!
The whole point of this tortilla is that anything goes, basically, though I suggest you avoid putting in anything you hate - kind of counterproductive that.
I always add potato and I always add fresh red chilli and that is the starting point. So this was tonights offering for two hungry people:
- 4 small new potatoes, peeled, sliced about 1/2 cm thick and boiled for ten minutes till just cooked.
- 1 large red chilli
- 2 shallots
- 2 cloves garlic
- 15 slices of chorizo (or more?)
- 4 medium mushrooms (finely sliced)
- 2 spring onions chopped
- handful of rough chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 cup sweet corn (frozen as it happens. If it is fresh, you will need to pre-cook it)
- Olive oil
- 6 eggs beaten.
- 1/2 cup good Emmental cheese, grated
Once the spuds are cooked, drain the water and put the potatoes on one side to dry off.
Preheat a grill
Finely chop the shallots and garlic and fry slowly in a wide, heavy frying pan. Once soft, add the mushrooms and the chorizo and cook through.
Now add the potato and chilli and stir gently - you don't want to mash up the potato.
Stir in the sweet corn followed by the spring onions and parsley.
Once all that is cooked through (this takes just a minute or so) season with salt and pepper and then pour in the eggs.
Stir gently till it is beginning to set, but still wet on top. Add the cheese on top and bung it under the grill to melt the cheese and finish off the eggs.
And that is it!
I ate mine with a mango chutney, of which I am partial, but you can go for anything.